Saturday, 18 May 2013

Installing only what I need for Slackware on VMware Player

Installing only what I need for Slackware on VMware Player

I am trying to install Slackware 14 on VMware using as little space as possible but still be able to access any features I need. I do okay until I get to the part where it asks for the packages I want to install, I don't know what some these packages are or whether or not I really need them.
One thing I wanted to try was install Slackware with a minimal desktop environment, but I am not sure if the main things that I would like to do would be available to me if I did this: programming (python), web surfing, and maybe a small game or two. I mostly need a linux virtual machine for programming with the ability to surf the web without having to constantly switch in and out of VMware/windows.
Here are the package series' the selection gives me with premade selections ([*] means the series is currently selected): 
How much can I take out and still do the things mentioned before the list? I took out the KDE and XFCE desktop environments would I still be able to work on programming projects, web surf, and/or play a small game?

No comments:

Post a Comment